BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Gorgonzola-Filled Meatballs with Bay & Onion Creamy Tomato Gravy

I saw this recipe on Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals and I knew I HAD to try it. It's not every day that I watch the Food Network and come across a meal that I feel I actually have the time and the skills to make, so I always jump at the chance when I find one.

I love meat, I love cheese, and the tomato gravy is a fantastic compliment. Try it and be prepared to say "YUM!"

Gorgonzola Filled Meatballs with Bay & Onion Creamy Tomato Gravy

1 1/2 pounds ground veal (we substituted more ground beef instead, others have used pork)
1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 handfuls plain bread crumbs
3 tablespoons sliced or finely chopped sage leaves
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces Gorgonzola
1 tablespoon butter
2 fresh bay leaves
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8 large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with some Gorgonzola. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.

Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs.


0 comments: