BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 25, 2009

Garlic Chicken with Spinach Pesto and Whole Wheat Penne Rigate

OK...this is my attempt at making a slightly "fancier" dish for me and the hubs to enjoy. Very very easy, a tad bit healthier due to the EVOO, whole wheat pasta, and spinach. I took several different spinach pesto recipes I'd found (after being inspired by Rachel Ray), and created my own. It was my first attempt at pesto and I think I succeeded! Or at least my man seems to think so! Very good dinner tonight. Very good.

Garlic Chicken with Spinach Pesto and Whole Wheat Penne Rigate

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 box of whole wheat penne rigate (or your noodle of choice!)
1/2 cup of pine nuts
4 cloves of garlic (divided)
1 pkg (9 oz) fresh spinach
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. oregano

Combine pine nuts & 2 cloves of garlic in food processor and process until chopped. Add spinach, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of oil, salt and spices. Process until well-blended.

Cook penne rigate according to directions on stovetop. Drain.

Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup of EVOO into pan and heat up. Toss in remaining 2 cloves of garlic into oil. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to pan. Cook until heated through or juices run clear. Drain any excess liquid that may remain.

Toss noodles, and chicken together in a large bowl, adding the spinach pesto with it. Serve and top with shredded parmesan cheese!

3 comments:

Scot said...

I am making this on Thursday as my "Day-Off Dinner." My taste buds are watering...

Lauryn said...

Looks yummy! My "hubs" and I made a pesto pasta recently, too (recipe to come soon on my blog), and loved it. :) We'll definitely have to try your new recipe sometime.

leanne said...

I made this tonight for dinner with some fresh spinach from our garden. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It was delicious!