BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu

I wanted to try my hand at breading something. Honestly, I don't have much experience with doing it, so I tried to find the easiest recipe I could get my hands on to try.

I came across this Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe from www.cooks.com

It was super easy to make, not nearly as messy as I thought it was going to be, and it was SUPER tasty.

We're definitely making this again.

I have to confess, though. I don't own a meat pounder. So I improvised on flattening the chicken breasts. My husband informed me that Alton Brown once showed a "quick tip" for pounding meat on his show. I decided to give it a try tonight. I placed the thawed chicken breasts in individual sandwich bags. I placed the bags in between 2 cookie sheets and pounded away at it with my huge "Fundamentals of Nursing" textbook. YEP! That book is huge and I've found a second purpose for it outside of cramming my head full of knowledge! :)

The chicken breasts came out very flat and easy to roll. Try it! I'm sure you can find a thick textbook of your own to use.

Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese
4 thin sliced smoked ham
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg; beaten
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
4 tablespoons butter


Pound chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle each piece on both sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on each breast. Roll up each breast using toothpicks to secure if necessary. Dredge each in flour, shake off excess, then in egg and finally in bread crumbs. Place seam side down in baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam. Place 1 tablespoon butter on each piece of chicken.Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until juices run clear.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum - I'll have to give it a try! I don't have a meat pounder, either - usually I put some wax paper over it and use the heavy end of a big, sturdy glass (a pint sized one?). Probably not the safest idea, though... :-/

ashley said...

sounds delish! I know Larry would love it! Might have to surprise him with it some night