BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 1, 2010

Doris' Very American Chop Suey

Happy New Year from Cooking With Court! As we welcome in 2010, we'll also start the new year off right with our very first "GUEST CHEF" feature on the blog! Throughout the year, I'll be featuring guest chefs as they share their favorite recipes with you all. I've got several more people lined up in the next couple of months, so keep checking back!

Who better than to start this whole Guest Chef feature off than my very own MOM! :) My Mom and my Grandma are two of the best home cooks I've ever known. I might just be a wee bit biased, however... And if it weren't for them, this blog never would have existed. Some people have their "food idols" like Bobby Flay, Julia Child, Paula Dean, but I've got my very own in my Mom and Grandma.

So without further delay, I bring you...my mother.

My name is Sue and I am the proud mother of Court from Cooking With Court and most honored to be guest chef for the month of January. I consider myself more a good cook than a chef. I live in Florida with my husband, Steve, of 37 years and our youngest daughter, Kimberly. I come from a long line of good cooks for which I am very thankful. The Chop Suey recipe I am sharing with you is one of my Mom's that we grew up on, and one I had to learn to make without a recipe to follow. I did my best to come up with one and trust you will enjoy it as much as my family.

Doris' Very American Chop Suey

1 Tblsp. Veg. Oil

1 1/2 # Pork Loin Cutlet or Bottom Round Steak or a combination of both. (You can ask your butcher to cut the meat in bite size pieces. Some grocery stores have Chop Suey meat already prepackaged and sometimes ground in small pieces. Either is okay.)

1 small Onion, diced
Salt and Pepper
Flour and Soy Sauce
White Rice
Chow Mein or Rice Noodles

In a Dutch Oven, brown meat in vegetable oil along with onion and seasonings. When meat has browned, pour enough water over the meat just to cover. Place lid on Dutch Oven and simmer on medium low for 2 hours. Taste the juice to see if it needs any salt as covering the meat with water can sometimes dilute the taste but keep in mind too that you will be adding Soy Sauce which will also add some saltiness to the taste.

Combine about 1/3 cup of Flour with 1/4 cup Soy Sauce and about 1/8 cup Water and whisk until smooth. You may need to add a little more Flour if it seems thin. You are using the mixture as a thickener just as you would in making gravy so should be of that consistency. Bring meat to a boil and slowly add flour mixture as you whisk. The gravy will thicken.

I spoon the Chop Suey over White Rice and top with Chow Mein or Rice Noodles for crunchiness. Serve with a salad or fresh rolls. You could also add some diced celery during the simmering time and when done a can of Bean Sprouts for added flavor. Enjoy!



Thanks Mom! I Love You!!

0 comments: