BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 18, 2010

Ashley's Chicken Pot Pie

I'd like to welcome our latest Guest Chef here on Cooking With Court. Ashley has been a dear friend ever since we met back in 2002. She was a junior in HS and a VERY good clarinet player! Ashley was a band student at the HS where I did my student teaching during my senior year of college. She and her husband, Larry, were both students of mine during my time there and I'm so thrilled that we're still in touch!

Ashley is a fantastic photographer and she's always got these delicious meals that she's making. She's the perfect fit for a guest chef here on Cooking With Court and I'm so happy she agreed to share one of her favorite recipes with us today!

And there's a lot you readers out there who have her to thank for THIS RECIPE :-)

If you're looking for the perfect "comfort food recipe," here ya go...

Thanks Ashley!

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been married for nearly three years now. (Incidentally, I also met Court in high school too, she was our student teacher in band.) We just bought our first house in Des Moines, Iowa. We're learning by trial and error how to complete the many renovations our vintage house needs. Cooking is a way to temporarily escape from the house projects. I learned to cook under my mom's instruction, but it hasn't been until recently that I've really learned to love it! Somewhere along the line I figured out that cooking and baking is just another way to express artistic talent and share it with others. I love carefully arranging food, photographing it, and sharing it with family and friends. When Court asked me to be a guest chef I couldn't resist the temptation to share with a few new friends!

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

2 cups of cooked chicken- either shredded or cubed (it could even be left over chicken)
1- 15 oz can of chicken broth
3/4 cup of warmed cream or milk
1 cup of frozen carrots
1 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
3-4 small red potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons of flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 thyme
black pepper to taste
pie crust

Directions:

1. Melt the butter over medium heat. While the butter is melting, chop the onion.

2. Add the chopped onion to the melted butter. Cook until the onions are softened- about 2 or 3 minutes.

3. Combine flour, salt, pepper, sage, and thyme in a bowl. Stir dry ingredients to evenly combine them. Add the dry ingredients to the melted butter and onions and stir to create a roux.

4. Cook the roux until the flour smells toasty- about a minute or two.

5. Warm the cream or milk in the microwave for 1 minute and then add to the roux. Whisk while adding the milk to the roux. It will create a thick paste. Gradually add the chicken broth to the mixture.
6. Add chopped potatoes, chicken, frozen carrots and peas. There’s no need to thaw the frozen vegetables.

7. Simmer over med low heat while you line a pie tin with pie crust and preheat the oven to 450°

8. Fill the pie crust with the gravy and vegetables. Place an additional crust on top and seal the edges.
9. Bake the pie at 450° for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes. This will allow the gravy to thicken slightly before serving.

Here's step-by-step photos...




1 comments:

ashley said...

thanks for having me as a guest!! i think I need to make this again because the pictures are making me hungry!