BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Texas-Style Beef Chili

I was looking for a new slow-cooker/crock pot recipe to try this fall, and I came across this recipe which appeared easy, full of flavor, and didn't require me to run right out and spend $40 on all the ingredients.

I don't know where you all live, but here in the midwest, we've got some serious rain coming down outside. There's not a more perfect day to be holed up at home and trying out a new recipe that will warm you right up.

Forgive me, Texans, for not knowing what makes this particular chili "Texas-Style," (please enlighten me if you know!). All I know is that it's YUM-TASTIC.

Above I posted the original recipe, below is my version of it. I adjusted a few of the ingredients and amounts to give it a bit more flavor and make it just a wee bit more on the healthier side.

Texas-Style Beef Chili 

8 strips bacon (I used turkey bacon for less fat)
2 lbs. boneless beef cubes (I used organic ground beef that I just happened to have in the freezer)
1 can (15 oz.) dark or light red kidney beans, drained
1 can (28 oz.)diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce or paste (your choice)
1 small finely chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
1 large chopped green bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 tbsp. minced parsley
3 medium cloves garlic minced (Ka-POW! with the flavor!)
1 bay leaf (let it be known that I no longer have to avoid recipes that call for bay leaves as I finally got some)
3 tbsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon until crisp; remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Brown half the beef cubes in pan with bacon drippings, about five minutes. Place in slow cooker. Repeat with remaining meat. Stir bacon and remaining ingredients into 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for about 7-8 hours or until beef is tender. Stir occasionally. Serves 6.

0 comments: